I’m starting to come around out my fever delirium….finally. AND, tonight (Sunday) I just want something super tasty to eat but super easy to make. I”m missed cooking and “food” this week, so being hungry is a good sign I’m sure. I’m opting for Shepard’s Pie.
There are many, many ways to go here, but here’s what I decided to include:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 large mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 5 russet potatoes
- dash Almond Milk
- 2 Tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 bag organic frozen corn
- 2 packages Yves veggie meat
1. Put a large pot of salted water on the stove on high to boil the potatoes.
2. Peel and chop potatoes into 1/4 inch pieces. Add them to the water, boil until tender.
3. While potatoes are cooking, heat canola oil over medium heat in pan.
3. Add diced onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent.
4. Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
Here I added 1/4 cup of red wine. This is optional. I added it because I had an open bottle about to go bad and thought it might add an interesting flavor.
5. Add crumbled veggie meat. If you don’t like veggie meat, you can always use chopped firm tofu, more mushrooms or even some chopped veggies (peppers, carrots, zucchini, squash, etc.) Let heat through stirring occasionally.
6. I cooked my corn in the microwave steamer. Basically I added the frozen bag to a microwave safe dish, added 3 tablespoons of water and cooked on high for 4 minutes.
7. When potatoes are tender – time depends on the size of the pieces you put in to boil. Approximately 20 minutes. Drain them in a strainer and return them to the pan. Here I add a generous dash of almond milk and 2 tablespoons of vegan butter. I would “mash” them at this point, but I cannot find my masher, so I just stir them all together, the potatoes seem to break up easily, until well blended.
8. Evenly spread base layer along bottom of the pan, spread the cooked corn as a second layer
and then spread the mashed potatoes on top.
9. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. I do this just so things set with each other.
10. Serve – add salt and pepper to taste. Pops likes to add ketchup too.