A few weeks ago, my wonderful friend (and second mom) Nancy sent me this DELISH recipe!! I just had to share it..you may even have most of the ingredients in your kitchen now – and it’s super easy to add or modify with what you do have!
I’m calling it “Eggplant Casserole”, but it could just as easily be called “Veggie Casserole”.
- 1 eggplant – cut into small pieces
- 2 green peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- approximately 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms (Nancy loves the baby bellas – I had regular white, so I used them)
- 2-zuchini (green and yellow)
- veggie parmesan – I used:
- veggie mozzarella shreds – I used a mixture of Daiya shreds:
- fresh garlic
- olive oil
- sliced onion (optional)
1. Sauté fresh minced garlic in olive oil until slightly brown (Nancy LOVES garlic so she uses more than most….um, funny, me too!) I also added some onions to the mix because I LOVE onions in pretty much everything!
2. Add the eggplant to the mix with enough olive oil so that it can soften – cover it on medium heat for 10 minutes stirring during this time.
3. While the eggplant is cooking, set the stove at 350 degrees and chop the rest of the veggies.
4. Once the eggplant is ready, do the following:
- Put a bit of oil on the bottom of the casserole dish
- Layer the eggplant on the bottom (with garlic)
- Sprinkle veggie parmesan
- then layer each veggie (in whatever order you’d like)
- between each layer of veggies, sprinkle veggie parmesan and veggie shreds and then top it off with a bit more of the veggie shreds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
5. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Be ready for DELICIOUSNESS! that is even better the next day!
I LOVE this dish!!
Thank you Nancy – I love ya!!!
Happy Meatless Monday!!