Yes, I love “pumpkin” everything!! Especially at this time of year.
So, of course, I made a vegan pumpkin treat – CUPCAKES!
Because, who doesn’t love cupcakes?? (If you don’t, then let us prepare in intervention).
This recipe makes 12 delicious fluffy cupcakes.
Ingredients & Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Mix these wet ingredients in a small bowl first and set aside.
- ¼ cup plain soy milk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar (or you could use 1/3 white sugar and 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans (optional – oh and I used mixed nuts because that’s what I had)
4. Put the wet ingredients together and add to the dry, mixing until just combined.
5. Divide the batter into the cups, filling each liner about ¾ full.
6. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting – I’ve included a recipe below.
Ingredients for the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup dairy-free soy margarine (I use Earth Balance
- 1 8-oz tub dairy-free cream cheese (I use Tofutti)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, blend all of the ingredients until creamy and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
After frosting the cupcakes, decorate them with your favorite candies or sprinkles!
FYI the frosting will store up to 1 day in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
P.S. My friend Jeanette thought I poured in too many nuts – probably because I didn’t exactly measure them. She also thought the cupcakes would be yummy with little bits of apple baked inside. Sounds good so next time for sure!