You know it’s Fall when all you see are pumpkin and squash recipes all over internet.
Well, it’s no different here!!
I made this soup this weekend, and I must admit that it was a bit too sweet for me until I added some sauteed onions and chunks of potato to it. I left these two items out of the recipe below even though I thought it made it much heartier while cutting the sweetness. Note, my grandsons seemed to LOVE the original soup just as it’s shown below.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (vegan alternative if you want to make it)
- 2/3 cup sour cream (I would consider leaving this out if you’re going the vegan route – as per my daughter Libby’s request)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg for garnish
1. Peel, remove seeds and cube the squash.
2. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash and brown sugar.
3. Saute squash and brown sugar, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened – approx. 15 minutes
4. Add apples, water, cider, salt, cinnamon, sage and cloves. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender – approx. 30 minutes. Cool Slightly.
6. Puree the soup in a blender in batches returning it to the pan afterwards.
7. Stir in heavy cream. I created a vegan version using this recipe and these ingredients:
8. Once in bowls, add 1 tablespoon of sour cream and dusting of nutmeg (both optional).
~ Enjoy – 3 Cheers for FALL!!
2 comments on “Meatless Mondays – Butternut Squash Soup”
Comments are closed.
I LOVE that you posted this today! I had a butternut squash in the cart last week and pulled it out at the end, because I’ve yet to have a great soup recipe that I’m just dying to make with it.
I’m like you, though. I’d prefer it not as sweet. So thank you for pointing that out! I’ll be sure to toss a few potatoes when I make it (hopefully this week)!
Love it, lady!
yahoo!! I’m thinking I would cut back the apple cider too next time I make it…just a thought.
aahhh I love FALL!!