Here’s a simple, fresh and tasty recipe for you to try on this Meatless Monday.
Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 cup (organic) extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 ripe (organic) plum tomatoes (peel them, halve them and remove the seeds)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp unsalted vegan butter (like Earth Balance® which is made with 100 percent expeller-pressed oils, contains no genetically modified material, and has a natural blend that actually helps your cholesterol, rather than hurting it. Way cool!)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, sliced
- Your favorite pasta – spaghetti or other (about 1 pound)
Heat the olive oil in a wide pan over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper (to taste) and let cook until the tomatoes start to soften. Then chop and mash the tomatoes until they are pretty thin. Let them cook for another 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Cook your pasta as directed – don’t over cook. Drain the pasta and then add it to the sauce stirring and cooking together for a few minutes. Remove from the stove, toss in your basil leaves and serve immediately – possibly with a salad and some warm bread on the side – and possibly a tasty chianti.