I have been dying to make these! I saw them in the VegNews Recipe Club and between the photos and descriptions, my mouth just watered. It turns out the recipe was created by Hannah Kaminsky of the Bittersweet Blog – one of my FAVORITE vegan recipe sites!!
Here’s the recipe and in italics I share my comments,
For the crust:
- 1-1/4 cups vanilla wafers
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, melted (I used Earth Balance)
For the pudding:
- 3 bananas, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I used quite a bit less than this – just enough to coat the bananas)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain soymilk, divided (I used vanilla almond milk simply because that’s what I had opened)
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8×8-inch square pan. In a food processor, grind wafers into a fine powder. Add melted margarine and mix thoroughly. Press crust evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan, and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. In a small bowl, drizzle bananas with lemon juice to coat, then evenly distribute over the crust and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Pour in just enough soymilk to form a paste, and mix thoroughly. Add remaining soymilk, and place over medium-high heat. Whisking constantly, bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and add margarine and vanilla, whisking thoroughly until margarine has melted.
4. Pour pudding mixture onto crust, smooth down the top with a spatula, and let cool completely. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Slice into squares and serve.
Makes 16 squares
2 comments on “Meatless Monday – Banana Pudding Bars”
Comments are closed.
yum yum yum! my BF makes some pretty hefty texas-style banana pudding, but i think this is a bit more my speed. in so much as it probably doesn’t have eleventy billion calories!
I can’t believe how super yummy these are…I know there’s sugar in them, but they can’t be that bad…at least that’s what I’m telling myself..I even had some for breakfast today..shhhhhh :)