Almost exactly a year ago I posted a similar recipe on stuffed peppers.
So, you’re probably asking why am I posting again?
The answer is probably because I haven’t made them since then, and I just got reacquainted with how very easy they can be to make – especially if you have a local Trader Joe’s and access to their new Beef-less Ground Beef, their trio packs of peppers, sliced mushroom packs and frozen pouches of Rice Medley. Plus, Trader Joe’s makes it easy to tell if something is vegan..they put this little ‘V’ on their packaging!
I admit it, sometimes I’m a “Lazy Vegan”.
Work has been a bit nutso lately (thankfully) and sometimes when I get home, I just want to get a healthy meal on the table with minimal effort and minimal time (oh and if you didn’t know this, I’m really not that big on going out to dinner).
Here are the ingredients I used this time:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion – chopped
- 1 cup sliced Trader Joe’s Sliced White Mushrooms – chopped
- Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef
- 1 trip pack of Trader Joe’s peppers (the recipe actually makes enough for at least 4 peppers though)
- 1 pack of Trader Joe’s frozen Rice Medley
- 1/2 jar of tomato sauce – (I used Trader Joe’s)
- OPTIONAL – Chia seeds to sprinkle on top and Parma Vegan Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat, add onions and cook until translucent
3. Add chopped mushrooms and cook thoroughly
4. Add meatless ground stir and cook through
5. Mix in 1/2 jar of tomato sauce
6. While above items are heating, toss your packet of Trader Joe’s Rice Medley into the microwave for 3 minutes and then cut off the tops of the peppers and clean out the insides. I actually chopped the tops of the peppers around the stems and added those pieces to the mix cooking in the pan.
7. Line up your peppers in a casserole dish, stuff with the above heated mixture. Since I had more mix than peppers, I used the extra mix to line the casserole dish to hold the peppers upright.
8. Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on how soft you like your peppers.
9. Go open the mail, make a tossed salad, ask your hubby and kids how their day was and before you know it, a healthy dinner is served in less than an hour!
Before eating, I topped my peppers with some Chia seeds and some Parma! vegan parmesan….YUM!
Happy Meatless Monday!
Also, I’ve been nominated on Circle of Moms to be in the top 25 vegan/vegetarian blogs. If you have time, could you please vote for me. You can vote once a day, every day until February 14th – only a couple more days! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!