Seriously, I think puff pastry is about the best food invention ever! Why do I forget about it so often when it can make the freshest desserts and dishes taste so fancy in a flash.
I wonder how hard puff pastry is to make?? hmmm, I’ll have to look at that up.
Today, I’m not using puff pastry for dessert, I’m making warm tasty mushroom potpie. Perfect for us here in No. California as it seems winter has finally decided to visit.
- 2 Tsp vegan margarine (I decided to use this instead of “oil” as I attempted to crop out in photo above)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 clove garlic minced (sorry, another item not photographed above)
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (I mixed button and cremini) halved or quartered if large
- 4 carrots cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet puff pastry (vegan)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees
2. Heat margarine in a large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Add the onions and celery at first and then mix in the garlic mushrooms, carrots, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender – I put the lid on the pot to keep the steam in. This should take about 12-15 minutes.
4. Add the flour and mix into the vegetables for 30 seconds.
5. Add the broth and frozen peas and bring to a boil.
6. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish.
7. Top with 1 sheet of puff pastry cutting several vents into the pastry dough.
8. Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet and into the oven until the crust is golden – approximately 25-30 minutes.
9. Let the dish stand 15 minutes before serving.
I served with some homemade rolls (more deliciousness to dip) and a salad of arugula, cucumber and vegan goddess dressing – YUM!!
Happy Meatless Monday!
P.S. this recipe is adapted from Real Simple magazine.
2 comments on “Meatless Monday – Mushroom Potpie”
Comments are closed.
Ooohhh…this will definitely be added to my recipe file. I’m trying to make something new more often and I think this will be a hit with the boys! :)
yahoo…it was truly, truly yummy and simple. I think we’ll be having this one a lot!!