It’s summer and if you’re invited to any sort of dinner/BBQ and asked to bring a tasty “veggie” dish…here’s one that should work out really well for you!
I loved making it because basically other than buying the squash and zucchini, I had all the ingredients (and, in fact, I did have 2 zucchinis ready from my own garden!)
So you can plan accordingly, this recipe takes about an hour total from preparation through cooking.
- 3 small zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3 small summer squash, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (optional) about 5-6 thin slices of onion
- 1/2 cup vegan broth (I use Rapunzel vegan vegetable bouillon with sea salt) or water
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance), cut in small pieces
- 4 tablespoons fine dry vegan bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese (today, I used Parmela, parmesan cheese replacer)
1. Heat oven to 350°.
2. Wash the squash and zucchini, trim ends, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Layer squash and zucchini slices in a greased 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper between the layers.
5. This is where I laid the thinly sliced onion on top of the layers – again this is optional.
6. Combine the vegan broth with the garlic and pour over the squash.
7. Place the pieces of vegan butter on top of layers and then sprinkle with the bread crumbs and vegan parmesan cheese.
8. Cover and bake for 35 minutes then uncover and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the top is browned and the squash is tender.
I was taking this dish to a summer party, so I placed the cover on the casserole dish and carried it over that way. We ate pretty soon after we arrived so no re-heating was necessary and the dish was delicious!!
Happy Summer y’all!!
(sorry a bit of a swayback to my years living in the South!)
P.S. Bubba wanted everyone to know his help in the kitchen was vital for preparing this recipe.