Not that there’s ever a bad time, but this week I figured I needed to make a “Springy/Summery” dessert. Summer is trying to get here…but it’s just happening a bit too slow for me. Maybe this will move it along a bit.
The recipe comes from VegNews May/June 2011 (my favorite magazine). It was created by Beverly Lynn Bennett and if you pick up a copy of the magazine she gives a few other “filling” options and a crust recipe too. I was a bit lazy and simply purchased a graham cracker crust for my pie. I sorta combined 2 of the options – putting in bananas and coconut. Ms. Bennett co-authored “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Cooking” (a necessity) and you can find this and more of her amazing recipes at veganchef.com
(and because I never seem to have everything “just-so” I’ve highlighted the adjustments I made)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (can use gluten free too)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons agar powder (I had agar flakes, so I crushed them with my mortar and pestle – figured that was kinda like making powder)
- 2 cups vanilla coconut creamer (I had plain coconut creamer, so I simply added a teaspoon of vanilla)
- 2 large bananas
- 1 16-ounce package vegan whipped topping
- 1 cup shredded coconut
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together flour, sugar and agar.
2. Whisk in coconut creamer slowly and continue to whisk constantly for approx. 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
3. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Slice the bananas into 1/4-inch pieces. Place a single layer along the bottom of the pie crust.
5. Mash the remaining banana into the cooled filling mixture.
6. Pour the filling into the pie shell and place in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours.
7. Toast coconut in a 350 degree oven in a shallow pan for 5-10 minutes. Watch it as it browns.
8. Spread a layer of whipped topping on top of the cooled and set pie. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top of the whipped topping.
P.S. Neither VegNews or Beverly Lynn Bennett knows me or has compensated me in any way for this post. I just wanted to share a tasty pie recipe…because, well, it was TASTY!