I think everyone knows I have a magazine addiction. In fact, I think it would be lovely if I could have a job that included reading magazines and sharing fun tidbits from them. So, I thought I’d start a new weekly feature here based on my career aspirations.
I typically rip out pages from the magazines I read and put them to the side to “follow-up” on. Whether it’s looking something up on the internet, downloading an app or checking into buying something, I always seem to have quite a pile of goodies to keep me busy.
I thought it would be fun to share some of the items, ideas, thoughts, etc. I’m jazzed about here each Friday. This could be a sly way of justifying all the magazines I read, but even so, I figure it creates even more use out of them and potentially passes on some useful information.
Let’s get started….here’s this weeks Favorite Finds:
Item one is a
and pretty much combines all my favorite things…gadgets, vegan items and dessert! Sounds like a dream I know! It’s the Yonanas dairy free dessert making machine. I saw this advertised in the June edition of InStyle.
The ad says you can use frozen bananas to make the same creamy texture as frozen yogurt or ice cream – with none of the added sugar. You can also toss in frozen berries to add flavor.
A certain addition to the summertime fun at our house!
Next we have a:
I found this deal in Mother Earth News (February/March edition). For $1 shipping & handling, you can order this 48 page recipe book from Fleishcmann’s Yeast to make foolproof homemade bread. Check out http://www.breadbreakthrough.com
They claim no kneading – the dough kneads itself and there’s guaranteed success every time. I’ll be checking it out since I’ve only tried one “no-kneading” recipe – and it’s a great success. I’ll be happy to have more options.
Next we have a:
for zucchini-nut-bread cookie sandwiches in Martha Stewart Living. They looked so yummy, that as my zucchinis grow, I want to make these – in vegan form, of course. I’ll post the results when I do finally make these…it will be a bit though as my zucchinis aren’t actually zucchinis yet.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (I’ll use vegan margarine)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg (I’ll use egg-replacer)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (I’ll use vegan cream cheese)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a bowl. Beat 1 stick butter and the sugars until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat flour mixture into butter mixture. Mix in zucchini, oats, and walnuts. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop (about 2 tablespoons), drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, about 17 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Beat together remaining 1/2 stick butter, the cream cheese, and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon filling onto the flat side of 1 cookie, and sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with
remaining filling and cookies.
Back to the techie side of things, we now have:
Every week Entertainment Weekly has a list of new apps that have come out and ones they’d recommend. This week I downloaded:
Moviefone for iPad – Not only can you look up showtimes and watch trailers now you can now buy tickets right from your ipad.
Crackle – one of the newest streaming media apps. Check it out for a selection of movies and television shows you can watch – for FREE!
My next share is a:
that I just finished reading “A Discovery of Witches” and I really, really enjoyed it. It ended somewhat abrupt, but I’ve heard that’s because the author, Deborah E. Harkins is working on a sequel.
I definitely recommend this book – I hope they’re contemplating making it a movie too!
And now for one of my favorite daily treats:
And, also from the recent Oprah magazine, we have a gorgeous summer:
There’s my list of goodies for this week. Just a note, none of these brands/items no me at all and I’m not being compensated in any way for sharing these finds. Just sharing…because it’s FUN!