Warning: this is not a healthy food post!
Yes, the cookies are vegan, but no, they are not a “whole food” without added sugar!
I tried so very hard to make them be, but my magic was unsuccessful.
They are, however, super yummy, and, I fear, by the time this post is up on my site, I will have eaten them all.
I was just in that sort of mood this weekend…a sweet, smuuushy, cinnamony, yummy kind of mood. (probably because I’m nervous about going to BlogHer next weekend)
This recipe is the result of that mood:
- 1 stick vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons soymilk or 4 tablespoons rice milk, whipped with
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch or 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder or cardamom powder (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F – if using an insulated cookie sheet, I would use 400°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine (if it’s not at room temperature, you might try microwaving it a bit) and sugar together until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla, and the cornstarch/soymilk mixture, and mix until well-mixed.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and tapioca/corn starch. Stir this into the wet ingredients and combine well. I ended up smoooshing it all together with my hands until it created a dough like feel.
- Prepare the topping: In a very small bowl stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and cocoa or cardamom powder (if desired).
- Roll approximately 1 full tablespoon of dough into a ball then roll it around – coating it completely in the powdered topping.
- Place balls on an ungreased baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should still seem very soft when you remove them from the oven. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire baking rack and let cool completely.
P.S. do you think if I brought these to BlogHer and passed them out, I would make new friends???
3 comments on “Meatless Monday – Snickerdoodles”
Comments are closed.
Oh, I wish I lived in the US to come to all those blogger meetings. Sounds like so much fun! Enjoy it for me too :)))
AND it would be WONDERFUL to meet you in person!! I had such an inspiring time…I’m exhausted now, but will definitely be sharing what I learned and experienced. Oh, and the food was amazing!! They really provided for raw, gluten-free and vegan people…I was very impressed!
oh, boy howdy those look goooood! i’ve never had a soft, buttery cookie that i didn’t like.
i cannot WAIT to meet you at blogher! i’m nervous, too, but more nervous about not fitting in everything that i want to do!